Slower speeds are essential for road danger reduction, which is needed for:
- reducing casualties,
- shifting to more active and environmentally friendly travel modes, and
- reclaiming our neighbourhoods for outdoor play and social interaction.
Slower speeds are vital to our health -- physically, mentally and socially -- and that of our planet.
Vehicle speed affects more than just travel time. Other impacts that broadly increase with speed include the:
- physical threat to others sharing the immediate road environment;
- pollution (particulates and NOx) affecting air quality and noise levels that impact on the wider neighbourhood; and
- level of CO2 that contribute to global warming.
Society needs to set and enforce appropriate speed limits. These must balance the interests of those inside and outside the vehicle. Only then will we enjoy mobility without sacrificing our lives, our health or the quality of our environment.
At RoadPeace, we believe that the rights and interests of those outside vehicles have been sacrificed too readily to those inside.